Last Updated: June 16, 2015
What Information We Collect:
Generation Opportunity collects information that you provide to us, as well as information that is automatically collected when you use our Sites.
Internet Protocol Address: We collect an IP address from all visitors to our Sites. An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you access the Internet. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information. We use IP addresses to help diagnose problems with our server, administer our Site, analyze trends, track users’ movement through our Sites, gather broad demographic information for aggregate use in order for us to improve the Sites, and deliver customized, personalized content.
Financial Information You Choose to Provide: If you choose to make an online donation on our Sites, you will have to provide your credit card billing information. If you make a donation, the credit card information that you provide at the time of donation will be used only to process your donation and will not be used for any other purposes.
By accessing or using the Sites or otherwise providing information to us, your information may be processed in the United States or other countries.
Use of the Sites by Minors:
We encourage everyone to learn about Generation Opportunity. Children, however, are not eligible to register to use the services of the Sites, and should not submit any personal information to us. If you are a minor, you may use these Sites only in conjunction with a parent or guardian. Parents or guardians should become knowledgeable about software and other tools so they can assure that children’s use of the Internet reflects parental preferences and requirements. By using the Sites, you represent that you are at least of the age of majority in your jurisdiction, or that you are at least 13 years old and have your parent’s permission to use the sites.
How We Use Your Information:
• to send you confirmations, updates, alerts, and support and administrative messages and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, our Sites;
• to notify you about important changes to our Sites;
• to send you newsletters and otherwise provide you with information or services you request or that we think will be of interest to you, such as sending you information to keep you informed about various issues, events, resources, promotions, contests, products and services;
• to help connect you with other supporters, and to solicit volunteers, donations and support for Generation Opportunity and for issues and activities we support;
• to remind you to send in your voter registration form and to vote;
• to request feedback and to otherwise contact you about your use of our Sites;
• to respond to your emails, submissions, questions, comments, and requests;
• to monitor and analyze usage and trends, and to personalize and improve our Sites and your experiences on our Sites, such as providing content, or features that match your profiles or interests, and to increase our Sites’s user friendliness;
• to serve ads, on this or other websites or media, based on the information you provide and the actions you take;
• to notify and contact grant applicants, contest and sweepstakes entrants; and,
• for any other purpose for which the information was collected.
E-mail Newsletter and Updates: If you sign up to receive our e-mail newsletter and updates, we may collect, store, and use your e-mail address to send you such information from Generation Opportunity. We may also collect and store other personally identifiable information including but not limited to your name, address, phone number, mobile phone number, e-mail address, username, and/or similar information you may choose to provide us. If you provide us with your mobile phone number, we may use it to send you text messages from Generation Opportunity. In addition, as noted below, we may share this information with our affiliates, partners, and other organizations or entities.
Text Messages: If you sign up to receive text messages from us, we will collect, store and use your mobile phone number to send you such messages from Generation Opportunity, in accordance with Generation Opportunity’s Short Code Terms of Service, available at https://generationopportunity.org/short-code-terms-of-service. We will also collect and store other personally identifiable information, such as your name, address, phone number, mobile phone number, e-mail address, username, and/or similar information you may choose to provide to us. If you provide us with your e-mail address, we will use it to send you e-mail newsletters and updates from Generation Opportunity. In addition, as noted below, we may share this information with our affiliates, partners, and other organizations or entities.
User Accounts: If you sign up for a user account on any of our Sites, we will collect and store certain personally identifiable information, such as your name, address, phone number, mobile phone number, e-mail address, username, and/or similar information you may opt to provide to us. Your user account information will be visible to designated team members of Generation Opportunity and our third-party Web site services vendor, but not to other registered users or Web site visitors (except to the extent you voluntarily provide any such information when you post your comments). When you register for a user account, you will also be registered to receive e-mail updates, e-mail newsletters, and text messages as a member of Generation Opportunity. In addition, as noted below, we may share this information with our affiliates, partners, and other organizations or entities.
It is our policy not to share the information we collect through our Sites with third parties, except as described in this Policy or as otherwise disclosed on our Sites. For example, we may share information:
• with organizations, groups or causes that we believe have similar viewpoints, principles or objectives;
• when you give us your consent to do so, including if we notify you on our Sites, that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information;
• when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
• when we believe in good faith that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to respond to claims or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Generation Opportunity, our employees, our volunteers, copyright owners, third parties or the public, including without limitation to protect such parties from fraudulent, abusive, inappropriate, or unlawful activity or use of our Site; and,
We are not responsible for the actions of any vendors, service providers or other third parties, which may further transfer information to other organizations or service providers, nor are we responsible for any additional information you provide directly to any third parties, and we encourage you to become familiar with their privacy practices before disclosing information directly to any such parties. Nothing in this Policy restricts the sharing of aggregate information, or information from which personal information has been rendered anonymous, both of which may be shared with third parties without your consent.
All information provided to Generation Opportunity is transmitted using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption. We also protect your information by placing it on a secure portion of our Sites that is only accessible by certain qualified employees of Generation Opportunity. Unfortunately, however, no Internet activity is 100% secure. While we strive to protect your information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of such information.
When you use our Sites, information and content you post in your profile, blogs, forums and other interactive areas of our Sites, as well as any information you share with individuals through our Sites or share through social network sites, will be available to other users and, in some cases, may be publicly available and available to third parties. In addition, when you sign up and create an account, certain information regarding actions you take through our Sites, such as joining a group, may available to other users and, in some cases, may be publicly available. We are not responsible for the actions of any third parties with whom you share personal information.
Online Petitions: If you sign a petition on or linked to our Site, you understand that the petition is public information and that we may make the petition, and your name, city, state, and any comments publicly available. In addition, we may provide the petitions, including your comments, name, city, and state to national, state or local leaders, stakeholders, or to the media.
User Comments: Please be aware that any personal information you provide in connection with comments you contribute to this site or any other interactive features we may offer will be visible to other users and visitors to the Sites.
What Choices Do You Have Regarding the Use of Your Information?
You may “opt out” of receiving text messages, email updates and newsletters by following the instructions in those text messages and emails. Please note that we may still send you other types of emails, such as emails about your use of our Sites, or use information as otherwise described in this Policy, even if you opt out of receiving email updates and newsletters.
You can view or modify information choices stored with your user account by accessing the Manage My Account page. Changes to information choices in your account do not affect information provided to others as set forth in this Policy, including in connection with petitions or donations or that has been previously shared with like-minded organizations, groups or causes. You may request deletion of your Personal Information by contacting us at email@example.com.
Other Web Sites:
Our Sites contain links to other Web sites. Please note that when you click on one of these links, you are entering another Web site for which Generation Opportunity has no responsibility. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on all such sites as their policies may be different than ours.
1320 N Courthouse Road, Suite 220
Arlington, VA 22201